Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Couchsurfing in Danang

Pagoda on the hill in Danang 
Couchsurfing brings people together!
After my fantastic experiences with the Couchsurfing community in Bangkok, I was eager to participate more. I found a lovely host in Danang after I left Hoi An, and she and her parents even picked me up at my hotel in Hoi An. It turns out one of their relatives works/owns the establishment across the street from the luxurious Huy Hoang Garden Hotel!


Nhi, my host, is married to a Vietnamese guy who is currently working all the way in Finland, and she occasionally hosts Couchsurfers at her parents' amazing, three-story home. It is absolutely beautiful, and even has a small moat inside! We dropped my things off and Nhi took me by motorbike on a little night tour of her city. I had eaten my Hoi An feast right before the half-hour drive to Danang, so we just got coconut jelly drinks and sat chatting by the busy riverside. She pointed out the beautiful bridges in Danang (known as the city of bridges!) as she sped us expertly around the moderately heavy motorbike traffic.

In the morning, we had tasty noodles for breakfast at a local place. I hardly saw any foreign tourists in Danang, but I can't see why - it's a very beautiful city with lots to explore. Marble Mountain is several kilometers away and attracts tourists of its own, but Danang itself is a large city with lots of potential, I think. We skipped Marble Mountain this time, but Nhi and I went to a hilltop pagoda (I forget the name) and enjoyed the beautiful views. It reminded me of Marseille, where you can drag yourself to the top of a steep hill to see Notre Dame de la Garde. I have many fond memories in Marseille, and now I have fond memories of Danang. :)

We had lunch by the sea, where I ate a giant portion of seafood fried rice — very American of them! Most of the other restaurants I have been to serve less enormous portions. After that, we relaxed at her home with friends who had just come to town, and a few people played a Vietnamese card game in her living room. I tried my best to understand the rules, but couldn't for the life of me put it together. By the early evening, it was time for me to go to the train station for Hanoi, so I bid Nhi and her friends and family goodbye, thanking them for such a wonderful experience.

View from the hilltop pagoda

4 comments:

  1. Great blog, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogs and we miss you here at ERES Ms. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi firefly,
    your blog is wonderful.
    Me too, I had a very exciting experience in DaNang as a very old CS. I joined the community of Tuan Thi Trang who created "Independent Life" for paralysed persons.Being a former urologist I could help his community to manage daily health care and I could make sculptures in the same time around the Marble Mountains. We took a taxi to Hoi An with the wheelchairs to join the CSmeeting for several times. We had parties and dinners together. I was very glad to have found that wonderful community full of life and fun though being hadicapped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophia! I miss ERES every day. It's my family! Like my mama haha.

    Reinhard: That is a beautiful story. It really touched me! I also really enjoyed a special workshop and store in Hoi An where people with disabilities made beautiful art. I hope I can go back there one day to support it! This time, instead, I had to get some suits made! ;)

    ReplyDelete